Ecostars gives Houweling Group four stars
On 29 May, Ecostars re-audited our vehicle fleet. Ecostars is a European recognition system for sustainable transporters of cargo and persons and is offered by the Municipality of Rotterdam to hauliers in the region.
Road haulage is essential in today’s society: without hauliers many products would not be able to reach the consumer Road haulage does, however, have an environmental impact. The sector is therefore working constantly on making transport more sustainable. Houweling Group works keenly on this and has taken concrete measures to reduce its environmental impact.
A few examples of the most recent developments:
- Nearly all lorries meet the latest Euro 6 standards.
- The consumption figures are monitored weekly and outliers are discussed with the drivers.
- As part of code 95, the drivers also follow the course het nieuwe rijden (the new way of driving) and veilig rijden (driving safely).
The Ecostars Fleet Recognition Scheme was developed to provide recognition, guidance and advice regarding operational measures that increase efficiency, and reduce fuel consumption and emissions. The aim is to reduce CO2 emissions and improve the local air quality. Organisations that wish to make their operations (more) environmentally friendly, can have themselves assessed and, in doing so, earn stars. Transport companies and other hauliers in Rotterdam work towards eventually having 5 stars for sustainability. The score is determined by:
- sustainable performance
- choice of vehicle and fuel
- making business operations more sustainable (for example via management systems that contribute to emission reduction)
The audit carried out on Houweling Transport bv resulted in it being awarded four stars.
At least 75% of vehicle fleet four stars plus at least one business application. Or 50% four stars plus all of the following points: formal fuel management programme, driving skills training, correct vehicle specification, use of operation support systems, operational implementation and target group determination.
Ecostars 4 stars explanation