Which protective gloves are suitable?
Choosing the right protective gloves can be rather difficult, depending on the situation. That is why we explain below the different requirements and standards that have been prepared.
Characteristics and certification
The European Union has prepared categories and norms to clarify exactly which safety criteria gloves must fulfil. There are three categories prepared by the EU according to the severity of the risks against which protection must be offered. This is the CE-marking that can be found on protective gloves. Because the legislation is general, norms have been developed on a more detailed level. These are the European norms, also known as EN-norms.
Categories of CE-marking
Protective gloves can be divided into three categories according to the severity of the hazard that the gloves must protect the wearer against:
- Category 1: protection against minimal risk
- Category 2: protection against moderate risk, for example cutting and pricking hazards.
- Category 3: protection against irreversible or fatal risks. This covers most gloves that are resistant to chemicals and, for example, gloves that protect against extreme heat and electricity
There are also gloves that do not fit into one of these three risk categories, for example, washing up gloves. They do not have a CE-marking.
There are different EN-norms. For the Dutch market, European norms are coded NEN-EN. There is a separate norm for each risk, depending on the work conditions. The NEN-norms encode which specific hazard the gloves protect against. The most common norms and their associated hazards are:
- EN 420: general requirements
- EN 388: mechanical risks
- EN 374: chemicals and micro-organisms
- EN 407: heat and fire
- EN 511: protection against cold
- EN 421: protection against ionising radiation and radioactive contamination
The CE-marking and NEN-norms are printed directly on the gloves themselves or on the packaging of, for example, disposable gloves.
Always check for any locally deviating regulations
Together with our specialists you can select the protective gloves that best suit your work tasks. We take into account the risks that the hands are exposed to. In addition, we consider comfort and lifespan. We would be happy to help you choose the right protective gloves.